Japanese Mixed Rice
Japanese mixed rice, Takikomi Gohan, is a rice dish made with vegetables, mushrooms, seafood, or meat seasoned with traditional flavors, including sake and shoyu. It is flavorful, nutritious, and an excellent way to enjoy seasonal ingredients. Our recipe uses Japanese vegetables harvested during the spring season; bamboo shoots, burdock, and carrot. This version of the dish also includes mushrooms, water dropwort (an herb comparable to parsley), and royal fern. If using a rice cooker or Instant Pot, add all the ingredients, set it, and forget it after rinsing and soaking the rice. As for those who prefer to cook rice on the stove, we got you covered with an easy stovetop method.
Prep Time 32 min / Cook Time 20 min
Ingredients (Available from our Single Recipe Box Collection)
- 2 1/4 cups (15 ounces) rice
- Sansai Gomoku Kamameshi
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sake (Japanese cooking wine)
- 1 teaspoon shoyu (soy sauce)
- Add the rice to a fine-mesh strainer and rinse under cold water for 20 seconds to remove some of the excess starch.
- Transfer the rice to a medium-large pot, preferably non-stick, and pour in 2 3/4 cups of water. Leave to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. If using a rice cooker or Instant Pot, refer to the manufacturer's instructions for the recommended amount of water. Bottled or filtered water is best.
- Add the sake, shoyu, and the entire package of Sansai Gomoku Kamameshi, plus the seasoning pack included in the Kamameshi package. Stir lightly.
- If using a rice cooker or Instant Pot, cook according to the manufacturer's instructions. Cover the pot with a lid and bring it to a boil over high heat if you opt for the stovetop method.
- Reduce the rice to a simmer and cook undisturbed for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Increase the heat to high and cook for 5 seconds. Do not remove the lid.
- Remove the pot from the heat and leave the rice to sit for 10 minutes. Again, do not remove the lid.
- Gently mix the rice and enjoy.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Want to try at home? Order TAKIKOMI GOHAN from our Single Recipe Box Collection today!
Keep your eyes peeled for the special ingredients found in each MESHIAGRE Box for Cooking Lovers from Wa-gokoro USA! We love introducing Japanese culinary staples to you during your monthly shipment. Recipe cards help guide you through using each ingredient, so you’ll have a delicious meal every time. Our ingredients are perfect for new home chefs, professional chefs who want to learn more about Japanese cuisine, and everyone in between! The box also includes bonus items (ex. Japanese sweets, drinks) for you and your family to enjoy throughout the month. Click HERE to learn more!
Leave a comment