Kome koji, aka rice koji, is a moldy, fermented grain paste that adds flavor to many dishes. It's common to see chefs smear kome koji on different types of meat, seafood, and vegetables as a marinade. The kome koji taste is savory, with a slightly sweet flavor and fruity scent.
This Japanese style fried chicken dish is made with a powdered mix that is coated in a delicious and aromatic kome koji marinade.
Prep Time 1 hour / Cook Time 15 min
- 1 packet of Fried Chicken Powder
- 5-6 ounces (150 grams) chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- Vegetable or canola oil, for frying
- Cut chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces.
- Transfer the chicken to a resealable bag and add one packet of powder.
- Seal the bag, move the bag's contents around to coat the chicken evenly, then rub to work the powder into the chicken.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches of oil in a deep pan or pot to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Deep fry the chicken for 1 minute and 30 seconds or until the chicken is lightly golden brown. Separate the bite-sized pieces before you add them to the oil.
- Transfer the chicken to a cooling rack or paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil. The internal temperature should be approaching 170 Fahrenheit.
- After a minute or so, return the chicken to the oil. Fry the chicken for another minute or until golden brown and crisp.
- Transfer the chicken to a cooling rack or paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil, then plate and serve.
* Check the temperature of the oil before the second fry. It should be 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
* Please be extra careful when handling hot oil.
Keep your eyes peeled for the special ingredients found in each MESHIAGRE Box for Cooking Lovers from Wa-gokoro USA! We love introducing Japanese culinary staples to you during your monthly shipment. Recipe cards help guide you through using each ingredient, so you’ll have a delicious meal every time. Our ingredients are perfect for new home chefs, professional chefs who want to learn more about Japanese cuisine, and everyone in between! The box also includes bonus items (ex. Japanese sweets, drinks) for you and your family to enjoy throughout the month. Click HERE to learn more!