Hijiki Seaweed with Torn Tofu, Carrot & Edamame
Hijiki is a wild seaweed that grows on the rocky coastline of Japan. It has been in the Japanese culinary sphere for centuries. The rich black threads boast a savory, mushroom-like flavor and impressive nutritional profile. It is a good source of dietary fiber, and the seaweed is rich in minerals like calcium, iron, and magnesium. This recipe combines hijiki and other healthy ingredients to create a full-flavored side dish. Although cooked, the side is comparable to a salad. There's a lovely array of textures. The hondashi combined with the sake and shoyu give the dish a very nuanced flavor and lightly coats the hijiki, tofu, and carrot much like a dressing would. Serve it alone or with rice.
Prep Time 30 min / Cook Time 15 min
Ingredients (Available from our Single Recipe Box Collection)
- 1/2 cup hijiki (dried seaweed)
- 1 pack firm tofu
- 2.5 ounces carrot
- 2 ounces frozen shelled edamame; option
- 1/2 teaspoon hondashi (bonito soup stock)
- 4 tablespoons sake (Japanese cooking wine)
- 2 tablespoons shoyu (soy sauce), plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil of choice (ex. canola oil)
- Soak hijiki in cold water for 30 minutes. Drain well, squeeze to remove excess water, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Pat the tofu dry, then tear it into chunks.
- Thinly slice the carrot into matchsticks (julienne).
- Add hondashi to a medium-size pot with sake, shoyu, brown sugar, carrot, and frozen edamame. Cook on medium heat until the carrot is tender.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add hijiki to the oil once hot and cook while constantly stirring for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the pot's contents to the skillet and mix well.
- Add the tofu to the skillet. Continue cooking for a few minutes more or until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Serve and enjoy! Add more shoyu to taste, if necessary.
Japanese Cooking Starter Pack is available here. It contains Cooking Wine, Soy Sauce, Bonito Soup Stock, Sweet Cooking Wine, and Sesame Oil.
Want to try at home? Order Hijiki Seaweed with Torn Tofu, Carrot & Edamame from our Single Recipe Box Collection today!
Keep your eyes peeled for the special ingredients found in each MESHIAGRE Box for Cooking Lovers from Wa-gokoro USA! We love introducing Japanese culinary staples to you during your monthly shipment. Recipe cards help guide you through using each ingredient, so you’ll have a delicious meal every time. Our ingredients are perfect for new home chefs, professional chefs who want to learn more about Japanese cuisine, and everyone in between! The box also includes bonus items (ex. Japanese sweets, drinks) for you and your family to enjoy throughout the month. Click HERE to learn more!
Leave a comment